Sunday, August 26, 2012

me, running fail

my hamstrings are bitches.




ever since i started running, they've been the bane of my athletic existence. what made them worse was throwing javelin; if you don't use the correct technique, you really torque your back. conveniently, all those muscles in the lower back are tied to those in your butt and, hence, to your hamstrings.

*FYI--if you have lower back pain, try carefully stretching your hamstrings, and use moist heat to relax the muscles. usually, tightness and aches in one area are tied to a problem in the other.

anyway, because the javelin is such an explosive event, and i threw daily for years, i think i have a permanent crank at the base of my spine that pulls whenever it wants to most screw me over. thus, the pull today. storm and tornado warnings kept the run inside, and while i used to be okay with the treadmill, i just felt cagey about it this afternoon. but, duty still to be done, i stepped up, popped in my weight and selected a program: hills. should have been cake. really. to my disappointment, for all my appetite for the incline, the surrogate course just wasn't cutting it, and it was aggravating one of the dumbest injuries a person can have. which, obviously means i have it.

dumb injury = twisting/spraining both ankles a total of six times, but the right one more often, hence knocking the pelvis out of alignment, causing the right leg to attempt compensation, leading to overexertion of the right hamstring

of course. i'm the only person i know who has injured herself by injuring herself, if that makes any sense whatsoever. anyway, if i'm diligent and do the proper lifting, stretching, and battery of physical therapy exercises, i can keep the pain at bay.

so sue me if i haven't been so diligent lately.

hamstrings: "hey. you're not feeling it. just get off, and lift. don't push your luck. you're not a teenager anymore, and we're getting sore."

me: "no way. i have a race in december, and i really want to train for it. i want my running back. i'm not quitting. i refuse to give up. i'll just set the program to manual and keep going. nothing can stop me!"

hamstrings: "... stfu."

that was pretty much it. i cleared the workout summary and stepped off, considered hopping on the stationary bike for a second, felt a sharp twinge in my leg, then slogged back to the locker room to change shoes.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment