Thursday, October 10, 2013

affordable boob-care

so by this time, my regular readers know that my family has a history of breast cancer. having gone through two biopsies at a relatively young age, i know the extreme importance of having consistent exams. thanks to my current situation, i am underemployed & underinsured. i've been trying to get screenings at a reasonable cost but have had no luck so far, & i finally hit the limits of my patience. at first, i wasn't going to bother blogging (as immediacy was my greatest concern). however, i've since realized that some of my readers aren't connected to me via FB or twitter, & i want this to reach as wide an audience as possible.

anyway, my FB posts are usually far more measured than what i've written today, & i am keenly aware of the ramifications of what i release to the interwebs. this time, however, my anger has overridden my usual tact, & i honestly couldn't give a fuck. the post, in its entirety, after the jump:


this is probably my first public yet personal FB rant. i'm bypassing the blog route because i want to be sure that people see this, & i know not everyone cares to click a fucking link. that's fine. so, long story short, sorry for the swears, mom; i'm pissed.
i know two women who are currently in the thick of the fight against breast cancer, & i have not had to endure the physical, emotional, & spiritual ravages that they have. by the grace of God, i am not in such dire straits, & i am grateful for that good fortune. however, i still have multiple cysts & am in pressing need of both an exam & mammogram. for all my attempts to be otherwise, i am underinsured & having one hell of a time finding a solution to my circumstances.

make no mistake--i am looking under every single rock i can imagine, in hopes of finding quality healthcare that i can afford. i am searching for all kinds of free or low-cost options. i am doing all that i can to find preventative medical care for cancer, a disease that has hit several generations of women in my family & killed my great-grandmother. i have run into walls of all sorts & am frustrated beyond belief. now consider this--there are millions of women like me, except they do not have the resources &/or familial support that i do. if i'm having this much trouble, what are THEY supposed to do? despite our fervent desire to believe otherwise, there are aspects of life far beyond our control, & reasonable access to services that will KEEP SOME OF US ALIVE & HEALTHY is one of them.

to everyone who has their panties in a bunch over "current & alarming threats" to our foundational American principles, can i ask you about my FOUNDATIONAL RIGHT TO LIFE? you're so eager to apply it to the unborn (which is a completely different debate that i'm not even going to touch), but feel no moral compulsion to those of us already living. as hard as i am working to do my part toward self-care, are you going to say, "no, well, since you're not making $X/year, we've decided that this VERY FIRST HUMAN RIGHT AS PRONOUNCED BY OUR HALLOWED DOCUMENT, THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, applies to us but not you"? for those who would like to live in their little politicized bubble & pretend that those with low-incomes & without EFFECTIVE insurance are lazy & undeserving, please enjoy a giant fuck you.

bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment